Belgium: In BrugesCity of Bruges: Killers Ray and Ken on a sightseeing trip
Were it not for the patina of its century-old buildings, Bruges might have been developed by Disneyland engineers. From the canals to the majestic Belfry Tower, from Flemish art to the Bruges swan (the real one and the chocolate version) - this medieval city is fairytale material. Since its main role in the movie In Bruges in 2008, the city has starred in a number of film productions, including BBC's TV Show The White Queen and Bollywood-hit pk.
While a plethora of guidebooks and websites provides extensive information on what to do during a visit, these are our personal top five recommendations:
1. Scale the 366 steps of the Belfry Tower and take it all in from a bird's-eye perspective.
2. Sample world-famous chocolate.
3. Join a boat tour through the canals of the inner city.
4. Pay hommage to Flanders master painters of the 15th century at Groeninge Museum.
5. Explore the film locations from the BBC's TV Show The White Queen.
In November 2017, Stefan hit the cobblestones of Bruges in order to find the most iconic locations from In Bruges. Thankfully, the city of Bruges has published a movie map which is a great help to orientate yourself in the maze of canals and winding roads of the medieval centre.
Market Square and Belfry Tower:
Jan Van Eyckplein square:
Hotel Relais Bourgondisch Cruyce:
Our top tips for a killer time in Bruges
- Start by browsing the city's official tourism website.
- If you need some additional guidance to visit the film locations from the movie In Bruges, you can download an official film location map.
- Book a tour through the brewery De Halve Maan.
- A boat trip along the canals is a must.
- Like Ray and Ken, stay at historic Relais Bourgondisch Cruyce.
- Scale the 366 steps of the Belfry Tower.
- Enjoy a pint at the city's oldest pub Bistro ‘t Zwart Huys.
- Take some time out in the peaceful setting of the Jerusalem church.
- Admire Flemish art at the Groeninge Museum.